The first time I made this, I followed the directions from the original recipe at Money Saving Mom. Awesome site, by the way, if you’re into couponing and saving money in general. She also regularly sends out collections of homeschooling freebies from other sites.
This past weekend, I made this again but added apples. It turned out even yummier.
Here’s what I made:
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar (I know! I’m still trying to find a sugar alternative that isn’t ridiculously priced.)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk
3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain Rolled Oats
3 organic Gala apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin.
1. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, and butter together.
2. Add baking powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
3. Carefully stir in milk and oats.
4. Grease a 9×13 glass dish with coconut oil. Layer apple slices in the dish. Pour oats mixture evenly on top.
5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
7. Bake for 35-45 minutes.
That’s about as creative as I got, but I’ve read about many other add-ins: bananas, raisins, nuts, berries, etc.